Thursday, March 20, 2008

Draft Analysis

Dear Fantasy Baseball Diary,

My strategy was basically to go big offensively first, swipe up as many big numbered guys as I could early and then slowly move to fill positions as I needed to. Pitchers would have to be an afterthought. But I think most of the guys picked that way. And of course, once someone started picking closers, all the closers started flying.


HIGHLIGHTS

  • Carlos Guillen was always my first go-to pick. All my other bigger numbered choices were gone, so i went with what I know. Guillen was on my team last year and he knocked the cover off the ball.
  • Bobby Abreu was also on my team last year towards the end, after Shane and I made a blockbuster trade. He got Albert Pujols from me and I received Derrek Lee and Bobby Abreu from him. Abreu helped get me in the playoffs.
  • Joba Chamberlain was a risk. He has a lot of hype behind him, and though he won't be switched to the Yankees starting rotation, he's been fucking dynamite on the mound.
  • I'm starting the season with 2 closers, Billy Wagner and Joe Borowski. Last year I started with none. On top of that, my 1st rd. pick Albert Pujols never lived up to his potential and my 2nd rd. pick Chris Carpenter (SP STL) injured himself the first game and was out for the season. So things are starting off pretty well.
  • I love that Aaron Rowand is a reserve OF. Last year he was one of the cornerstones of my outfield, now my outfield is stacked, so I have some room to move.

I think it went really well. Because of trades involving Draft picks, some of us had more picks than others (I had two 3 rd. picks) and we had to more rounds. So, now the league has decided on 25 players per roster and I need to drop 3 people. Hmm, which to drop...

No comments: